14-DAY PRIMITIVE LIVING INTENSIVE
14-day Primitive Living Intensive
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live as your ancestors did generations or eons ago? How would the community in a hunter gatherer society operate?
Tuition – $3265
About the Primitive Living Intensive
The 14-Day Primitive Living Intensive was built to investigate and experience life from the past. We have called upon the school’s most experienced instructors to create a course that will focus on the life of the ancient societies of the Four Corners region (known at times as ancestral puebloans, Anasazi, and other names). While this course is far less physically intense than the traditional BOSS Field Course, this experience will provide a challenging, authentic experience all its own.
The BOSS Primitive Living Skills intensive teaches everything from short-term survival skills like fire and shelter to the skills you need to thrive long-term: edible plants, trapping, hide tanning, pottery, textiles and more. Instruction is thorough, intensive and hands-on.
- You and your course mates will rely on one another to truly live off the land, working together to gather food, make shelter, and complete an ambitious list of primitive skills projects.
- Live as a primitive village at an established camp in the beautiful territory surrounding Boulder, UT.
- Learn and practice primitive and traditional living skills from master instructors.
- Dive deep into foundational and advanced primitive living skills such as friction fire (bow drill and hand drill), primitive shelter, foraging, trapping, fishing, primitive pottery, hide tanning, traps, and more.
Know More, Carry Less
In line with the BOSS Positive Impact philosophy, the 14-day Primitive Living Intensive course emphasizes the use of renewable, natural, and local resources. Tents, sleeping bags, stoves, backpacks and many other “essential” pieces of outdoor equipment are replaced with their low-tech counterparts: a poncho, a blanket, a campfire, etc. The skills we teach you allow you to live in comfort at length in the wilderness without relying on modern gear.
14-day PLI Course Location
The course begins in Boulder, UT and may use basecamps on Boulder Mountain and in The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, with additional day trips into the surrounding areas. These locations provide students with varied and spectacular scenery.
Instruction is primarily focused in the basecamp areas, but some travel is necessary to acquire materials or information not immediately available. Students should plan on bringing hiking boots suitable for day trips that may take us in varied terrain which may include knee deep water, sand dunes, boulder fields, thick brush, boggy areas and slickrock. Be advised: our basecamps are simple teaching areas in a pristine environment—without electricity, telephones or modern buildings.
Learn by Doing
We strongly believe in learning by doing. While at times, instruction will be done in lecture format, it will be done in the field where students can see what they are learning in situ and can practice their skills in a natural environment.
BOSS courses feature a student-teacher ratio conducive to hands-on instruction. Our Skills courses may have up to 15 students and 3-4 staff. This ensures that our staff are available to students to help guide them through the lessons as needed.
- No prior camping or outdoor experience is required.
- BOSS requires that all Primitive Living Skills course applicants undergo a complete physical examination and receive their physician’s approval in writing prior to final acceptance on the course.
- Students must be 18 years of age or older.
Interested in life-changing skills?
The Boulder Outdoor Survival School has delivered primitive skills courses to adventurous people since 1968. Our survival instructors are some of the most experienced and competent in the world. The challenges our BOSS survival skills courses offer aren’t for everyone, but if you’re the right person and it’s the right time for you, we promise world-class skills instruction, challenge and real experience in primitive living.