14-day Field course
14-day Wilderness Survival Training
The 14-Day Field course expands on the offerings and challenges in the 7-day Field course. With two weeks in the field you will have the chance to gain mastery in the basic skills we teach and experience a return to a traditional human context while living on the land for an extended period. On this course you will travel through the spectacular terrain of the Aquarius Plateau, learning and relying on traditional survival skills.
About the Course
Leaving the high-tech, modern world behind, you will travel the desert canyons and mountain meadows with little more than a knife, a water bottle, a blanket, and a poncho. The physical, mental, and emotional challenges are real. Our goal is to give you a chance to learn and practice survival skills in context, and face and overcome real challenges. You will learn and travel with up to 11 other students and three instructors.
- Learn traditional and primitive survival skills in context from master instructors.
- Practice and rely on those skills in a remote setting.
- Face and overcome serious challenges in the wilderness.
- Travel through the rugged, remote terrain of the Aquarius Plateau.
- Experience living as a small group in isolated wilderness for an extended period.
- Explore advanced primitive and traditional living skills.
Know More, Carry Less
In line with the BOSS Positive Impact philosophy, the 14-Day Field course emphasizes the use of renewable, natural, and local resources. Tents, sleeping bags, stoves, backpacks and many other “required” pieces of outdoor equipment are replaced with their low-tech counterparts: a poncho, a blanket, a campfire, etc. The skills we teach you allow you to travel in comfort without relying on modern gear.
The BOSS 14-Day Field course provides, among other things, a physical and mental test for its students. You will hike long distances over the rugged terrain found in Southern Utah’s mountains and desert canyons, sometimes as much as 15 to 30 miles in one day. You will at times be thirsty, hungry, hot, and cold. Most students leave the course five to ten pounds lighter. We use our more than 50 years of experience to tailor the challenge to each group.
This course is offered in 28- and 7-day long versions, too. Or, for those interested in a less intense, more skills-oriented experience, consider the 14-Day Primitive Living Intensive course.
Other Courses Available:
- No prior camping or outdoor experience is required.
- BOSS requires that all Field course applicants undergo a complete physical examination and receive their physician’s approval in writing prior to final acceptance on the course.
- Students are asked to complete a 1.5-mile timed run during course orientation.
- Students must be 18 years of age or older.
Skills taught on Field courses are directly relevant to the group’s needs in the field. Issues dealing with the effects of physical stresses and extended travel on the human psyche are just as important to the student experience as how to make a fire without matches.
14-day Field courses are designed to cover at least these basics:
- Desert ecology & travel
- Survival mindset
- Campsite selection
- Shelter construction
- Fire construction
- Water location and purification
- Wilderness hygiene
- Basic edible & medicinal plants
- Knife use, safety, and care
- Primitive traps
- Large game processing (see here for more info)
Tuition Assistance Available
BOSS offers tuition assistance and discounts to qualifying applicants.
Learn more about BOSS Tuition Assistance.
Interested in a life-changing challenge?
BOSS is one of the oldest survival schools on the planet, delivering wilderness survival training to adventurous people since 1968. Our survival instructors are some of the most experienced and competent in the world. The challenges that our BOSS survival training offer aren’t for everyone, but if you’re the right person and it’s the right time for you, we promise adventure, challenge and world-class instruction.