- First Year at BOSS: 1997
- Current Position: Director of Staff Development and Master Instructor
- Hometown: Dayton, Ohio
- Currently Resides In: St. Louis, Missouri
I came to BOSS Because…
Although I had been taking backpacking trips for many years, it was not until I found myself sitting by a spring in the Irish wilderness of Southern Missouri that it suddenly hit me: People lived and thrived out here for generations, long before we had nylon and aluminum. Right then I knew I wanted to learn the skills to live without the modern gear so often considered essential. As soon as I got home I started looking for a school. I found BOSS and immediately signed up for the 28 day course.
I Teach at BOSS Because…
I teach at BOSS for many, many reasons. Among them are: I still have that thrill of the first day I realized I wanted to learn these skills; Every day at BOSS I learn more about the world and myself; I thoroughly enjoy the process of teaching; BOSS offers a unique environment in which to teach and learn; I like witnessing and being a part of our students’ experiential learning; I believe the skills we teach and the challenges we provide give students important perspective for the choices they make in life; And finally because of the unknown. Instructing a BOSS course is unlike many other jobs. In most jobs you can predict fairly well what you will be doing on any given day. Because of all the variables we have in a BOSS course each day requires a variety of skills to deal with a wide spectrum of challenges.
Interesting Trivia about Bryan:
- Bryan has traveled through the US, Canada, Mexico, Peru, Bolivia, Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, the United Kingdom, Hungary, Slovakia, Kenya and Tanzania.
- Bryan has visited the Seri Indians, the Maasai, various Andean highland cultures and several Indonesian tribes.
- Bryan is an avid road cyclist and sea kayaker.